In Pakistan, thousands of charity organizations are working in social welfare and development sector in education, healthcare, economic uplift of individuals and communities. It is very important we redirect our donations to charities helping victims and survivors of terrorism by raising awareness towards misuse of their funding in the shape of terrorist financing.
Our selection of charity defines how our money will be used on our community. The important aspect of directing funds towards good charities from ill-reputed, banned organizations would define:
- Will your charity give life or take life?
- Do you observe before giving or is it mostly random without scrutinizing the organization’s track record?
- Does your charity help reconstruction of school or its destruction?
- Is your charity helping organizations run orphan homes, child welfare services or killing innocents without discrimination.
- Observe if your donation is helping children getting access to healthcare facilities or it’s supporting those who are targeting medical teams?
- Is your charity working for protection and promotion of human rights or it is stripping you off from your rights.
If a debtor is under financial stress, he should be given respite till he feels at ease to pay. And your forgoing (the loan) is better for you if you know (what significance it has in the sight of Allah to console the poor).
Their (acceptance) of guidance is not your responsibility. It is Allah Who awards guidance whom He wills. And whatever wealth you give away (as charity donation) goes to your own benefit. It is not appropriate for you to spend but for Allah's pleasure alone. And whatever you spend of your wealth, (its reward) will be paid back to you in full and you shall not be treated unjustly.
whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind.
Those who spend (in the cause of Allah) privately or publicly, by night and day, have their reward with their Lord. And (on the Day of Resurrection) they shall neither fear nor grieve.
Selecting a Charity
There are many ways you can find out more about a charity before choosing to donate your money.
FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER!
- Does the charity have any direct or indirect links to extremist groups? Has the charity ever been blacklisted by the government?
- It's your right to ask where your money will be spent
- What is the reputation of the charity among your friends and family?
- If the charity has a website, check if the charity has a registered office address.
- Read the charity’s audit or annual reports. Does the charity provide any published evaluation of their work?
The easiest way to avoid inadvertently funding extremism and terrorism, is to give to those organizations which help victims of violence.
For the list of safe charities, click here.
For the list of proscribed organizations, click here.